Home/Blog/Importance of choosing the right office chair
Importance of choosing the right office chair
On an average we spend 11 to 12 hours in office everyday, just imagine if you don’t have a comfortable chair what it can do to your back ?. Sitting in an office chair for prolonged periods of time can definitely cause low back pain or worsen an existing back problem. The main reason behind this is that sitting, in an office chair or in general, is a static posture that increases stress in the back, shoulders, arms, and legs, and in particular, can add large amounts of pressure to the back muscles and spinal discs.
Top 5 things to consider before buying a office chair
1) Adjustable Back, Good Lumbar Support : The back of your new work chair should be adjustable, allowing you to adjust the positioning of the chair’s lower back support to match the height and curvature of your lumbar. Conventional office chairs rarely fit individuals’ lower backs, leading to back strain and slouching. Finding a chair that naturally supports your lumbar will help to prevent back pain in the future.
2) Comfortable Material and Padding : No one seat material is best for all individuals. Finding a chair that suits you is essentially a matter of fit and preference. Ideally, a good ergonomic chair should provide you with adequate cushioning and support without feeling bulky or overly padded. Some individuals prefer a chair with a cushioned back, while others prefer a semi-porous mesh backing. Consider whether the chair will be comfortable in the summer months, as well as the winter, as some materials breathe better than others. What matters most is that the chair is comfortable for daily use.
3) Good Arm Support : Most individuals with back problems will find that a chair with good armrests provides them with additional support and comfort. Some, however, prefer the freedom of a chair without armrests. Choose a design that suits you best, and is comfortable for your height and size.
4) Overall Durability : Office chairs can be a significant investment, especially if you are outfitting an entire office. So, you’ll want to be sure to consider overall durability. After all, chairs are usually daily workhorses, and if you don’t choose wisely upfront, you may be buying chairs far more often than you’d like. One way to estimate how durable a chair will be is to find out if it meets certified quality standards. The standards relate to durability, strength and stability in areas such as: chair base, armrest, seat back, tilt mechanics, casters, foot ring, swivel system and long-term seating impact.
5) Quality and Manufacturer Reputation : Finally, you’ll want to consider a chair’s known quality and the reputation of its manufacturer. You’ll also want to watch out for “lookalike” products that may have a similar design of a leading manufacturer’s, but are made of lower quality materials. Of course, reviewing return policies and warranty information can also give you a good indication of how consistently a manufacturer will stand behind its product.
Though finding the perfect work chair may seem like a daunting task, there are now many comfortable, affordable ergonomic desk chairs on the market. Don’t forget to consider chair measurements before making a purchase, and you’ll be sure to find a chair that fits you well. Purchasing a good ergonomic chair can make the difference between a work day filled with pain and a work day filled with comfortable productivity. If reading through this article makes you feel a bit apprehensive about the number of options out there , we understand — and we’re here to help you navigate through to a smart decision you won’t regret.